ForwardLet me start by saying, don't disable IPv6 on domain controllers. There's no reason for it, and it will cause you more headaches in the long run. From what I've read, it used to be best practices in the early days of IPv6, but Windows is smart enough now that it shouldn't have any problems with it.
So I inherited a domain setup where the domain controllers (Running Server 2008 (not R2)) had IPv6 disabled for some reason. It's not well documented why this was done, and it's on my list of things to fix, but for the moment I'm stuck with it.
As to why I'm still running DCs on 2008, shut up it's on my to-do list.
SolutionDisabled 6to4 adapter. 6to4 adapter will register itself in DNS and cause lookup problems. I couldn't find a good way to tell the adapter not to register itself, so I settled for disabling it. From an admin command prompt:
netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabledbeen running this way for a week or so, and haven't had any more problems. I am able to run a gpupdate on the domain controllers and have it apply successfully.
Problem & Full StorySee "Forward" as to why I am operating DCs with IPv6 disabled.
Started running into this problem a while back, but had never had the time to troubleshoot it fully. Domain Controllers would randomly stop working correctly requiring reboots and extensive testing. These problems would take the form of
- Slow logins -- stuck at applying user settings
- Slow boot -- stuck applying computer settings
- "no trust relationship" errors
- DCs failing to apply group policy updates via "gpupdate /force"
- Updates would apply correctly on reboot
Parsing through the "Forward Lookup Zones" I found that the DCs were still registering IPv6 addresses. If I cleared those addresses out manually then everything seemed to work. The DNS entries I cleared out looked like this:
Name Type Data Timestamp (same as parent folder) IPv6 Host(AAAA) 2222::etc::2220 2/2/22 (same as parent folder) IPv6 Host(AAAA) 2222::etc::2221 2/2/22 ... DC1 IPv6 Host(AAAA) 2222::etc::2222 2/2/22 DC2 IPv6 Host(AAAA) 2222::etc::2223 2/2/22
After clearing these out everything would work for awhile. But the entries would eventual re-create themselves and the problems would come back. The (same as parent folder) -- which is a reference to the resolution of mydomain.com -- would recreate every hour or so, whereas the DC1,DC2 entries seemed to only come back on a reboot. It was baffling because the IPv6 adapters were totally disabled, so I couldn't figure out why/how they were continuing to register themselves.
After looking through ways to more forcibly disable IPv6 (through registry hacks, etc.), and deciding that was a bad idea, I thought to look more closely at the addresses that were being registered. Issuing a ipconfig /all, I realized that those addresses were associated with the 6to4 adapters, not the actual ipv6 interface.
A quick google later to find out how to disable the 6to4 adapter and everything was in order. As mentioned above it's been a week and I haven't seen any side effects to disabling the 6to4 adapter.
Long-term solution is to reenable IPv6 on the domain controllers, but it's been disabled for so long, and since I have no idea why it was disabled in the first place, that will require more careful testing.